[squid-users] http accelerator mode help

From: Christian Hedegaard <christian.hedegaard@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:11:44 -0700

Hey all, I'm trying to setup squid as an intermediate relay, or in the
documentation I think what I want is an "http accelerator"

basically, here's the deal. we have a move this weekend and we will not
have notified all of our web customers that their domain name IP's need
to be changed. so the idea is to have a squid box answering requests for
those domain names, and then retrieving the REAL domain names websites
and serving them, until we have everyones DNS changed.

here's a picture:
    [client]

   [squid]----[webserver]

very simple, no firewalls, everything has a routable IP address. I'd
like the squid box to listen on the old IP's of the webserver, and just
forward those incoming requests to the new IP's, and pass the webpages
to the clients who still have old DNS information.

will that work?

I've turned off all ACL's and http_access, so that it's a totally open
box. I have these settings turned on:

http_port 80
httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_port 0
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
httpd_accel_single_host off

now on my machine I've taken one of our domain names, and added it to my
/etc/hosts file, pointing it at my squid server. but when I try to
browse it, squid never retrieves the page, it returns this:

ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://192.168.1.85/

The following error was encountered:

     * Access Denied.

       Access control configuration prevents your request from being
allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel
this is incorrect.

--
Christian Hedegaard-Schou
Sr. Systems Administrator