Re: [squid-users] squid needs restarting after internet connect

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:43:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Nik wrote:

> That was one of my initial thoughts. I can't remember anymore if NAMED
> responds dynamically to changes in resolve.conf. Regardless, I wanted to find
> out if this could be fixed by adjusting squid, before bringing another
> process into the mix.

named doesn't read resolv.conf at all.

if you need to use name forwardeds then this has to be explicitly
specified by IP in named.conf.

> I have also looked at the workings of "ifup-post", which calls a
> do_netreport() function. This iterates all the files in /var/run/netreport,
> and sends the process identified by each a "kill -SIGIO" signal. Would this
> work for squid?

Not without changes to support the SIGIO signal.

> Squid doesn't seem to enable this automatically, so I presume I would have to
> modify the startup script in /etc/init.d, meaning that the changes will also
> most probably be lost on an upgrade.

very few if any applications reacts to changes in resolv.conf without
restart.

> I am happy to look at the code and create a patch if I can. However, there's
> no point doing so if it is unlikely to be accepted into the production
> version. What are people's thoughts?

> PS: do people prefer to be included in the reply list, or to only get replies
> via the mailing list?

I prefer somewher inbetween. Included if I was in the last two or three
messages of the thread, excluded otherwise.