[squid-users] WPAD and Internet Explorer 6

From: Damien Nguyen <dnguyen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:36:15 -0500

Hi,

Some background:

Squid 2.5Stable9 (running with FC3)
Apache server (running on on the same PC as SQUID)
Mixed of NT4, 2000 and XP client operating systems.

I followed the Squid-cache.org FAQ as much as I could and got Squid to work.
I am using WPAD via the DNS method.

The issue I am having is that for some reason I cannot use the "Automatic
detect settings" in Internet Explorer (latest version 6) and it seems to
only happen on NT4 PCs (both workstations and servers). Windows 2000 and XP
clients works fine.

If I changed the IE setting on the NT4 PCs to "Use automatic configuration
script" and specify the address (to the WPAD.DAT file on the Apache server)
it work fine. Manual setting worked as well. Only when I specify "automatic
detect settings" then it stopped working.

I use Ethereal to check for any communication between the SQUID PROXY PC and
NT4 client when IE6 start up and found nothing.

I made links to the wpad.dat file using wpad.da, proxy.dat, proxy.pac and
that did not help.

Any idea why WPAD only works with 2000 and XP clients and not NT4. All
clients use Internet Explorer 6. I even tried Mozilla FireFox 1.0.2 on the
NT4 clients and that made no difference...

TIA