[squid-users] HTTP and FTP control through Squid

From: Wennie V. Lagmay <wlagmay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:36:27 +0300

Hi all,

First, I would like to define our setup: We have 2 Linux Servers, the 1st
Server sits on the center of the LAN which do firewalling and natting. This
Linux server has 2 NIC (eth1 connects to the internet and eth0 connects to
LAN) all port 80 request are redirected to port 8080 (to 2nd Server) via
eth0 and the rest directly to the internet via eth1.

As I mention when the request is port 80 the 1st Server redirected it to
port 8080 which is the 2nd Server. This 2nd server is the Squid cache/proxy
server, this 2nd server also have 2 NIC (eth1 connects to the internet and
eth0 connects to LAN).
AS you can see the connection of server1 and server 2 is via eth0 and both
have there own connection to the internet.

I have 3 local blocks (192.168.10.0/24, 192.168.11.0/24, 192.168.12.0/24),
Im giving each IP address 128kbps downstream and 64kbps upstream.

My questions:
1. Is there a way for Squid to limit the http and ftp bandwitdh
specifically? This is how Im planning to do this, if the page or a file is
already cached so the cache server can serve it to everyone with no
bandwitdh limit, but if the page or file is not yet cache then the bandwidth
limits applies. The http request should be 64kbps CAR but if the network is
not heavy loaded they go up to 128 kbps. Fot the ftp it should be 10kbps to
30kbps. We would highly apprciate it If you can give us examples on doing
this.

Thank you very much,

Wennie