[squid-users] File system recommendations for squid cache.

From: Charlie Johnson <johnson.charlie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:43:10 +0200

Hi,

The company I'm working for uses squid for caching and access control.
We use 3 Dell 2650s for squid, with a 3 disk (U320 10K RPM) RAID-0
(stripe set) for the cache partition on each server.

The cache disk size is approximately 70GB.
The squid config is set to:

minimum_object_size 0 KB
maximum_object_size 1024 MB

maximum_object_size is set high, since we use HTTP-virus scan as a
parent-peers, and don't want to apply more load on the scanners.

And now the question...
What file system is recommended for use on the cache partitions?
We have tried with ext2, xfs and reiserfs 3.6.

First we thought using ext2 (no additional configuration) would be a
good idea, since there is no journaling etc. The performance sucked.

XFS and reiserfs3.6 was generally faster than ext2. The problem is when
the cache size reaches above 10 to 20 GBs, reiserfs3.6 decreases
significantly in performance.

What file system and with what "tuning parameters" would suit this
setup?
Or is the answer to decrease the 'maximum_object_size'?

All help appreciated

Charlie Johnson