Re: [squid-users] File system recommendations for squid cache.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 23:34:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Charlie Johnson wrote:

> The company I'm working for uses squid for caching and access control.
> We use 3 Dell 2650s for squid, with a 3 disk (U320 10K RPM) RAID-0
> (stripe set) for the cache partition on each server.

What OS?

It's recommended to split that stripe into separate drives. Squid does not
benefit from striping. Squid automatically splits the load on the
available drives (cache_dir), so striping only makes long term maintenance
of your system harder as any change to the cache would mean loosing the
whole cache.

> What file system is recommended for use on the cache partitions?
> We have tried with ext2, xfs and reiserfs 3.6.
>
> First we thought using ext2 (no additional configuration) would be a
> good idea, since there is no journaling etc. The performance sucked.

What cache_dir type did you use? aufs is recommended for linux.

The default "ufs" cache_dir type by design won't perform in higher loads
as each I/O operations blocks the whole Squid process..