Re: [squid-users] The Squid Cache (version 2.5.STABLE9-20050324) died.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:55:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 Magali.Bernard@univ-st-etienne.fr wrote:

> In cache.log I have found twice "FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying."
> and then squid seems to be running fine.

Please see Squid FAQ 11.19 Sending in Squid bug reports
<url:http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-11.html#ss11.19>

> Unfortunately there was no core file as said in the squid's mails.
>
> Extracted from squid.conf:
>
> cache_dir aufs /cache1 20000 16 256
>
> coredump_dir /cache1
>
> Where could I find this core file ?

Unfortunately getting core dumps can be a little tricky.

- You can not start Squid as root. Must start as the cache_effective_user.

- On most OS:es threaded applications can't leave core dumps. This applies
to Squid when using the aufs cache_dir type.

The FAQ referenced above gives a few alternative methods.

But on the good side there has been a number of "Segmen Violation" errors
corrected since the date of the snapshot release you are using, so chances
are good the error will be gone when 2.5.STABLE10 is released. It may be
worth upgrading to the current Squid-2.5 nightly snapshots to verify.

<url:http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/200504/0084.html>