Re: [squid-users] Windows Automatic Update (WAU) and non-transparent squid proxy (was Re: [squid-users] Major malfunction: Squid and Windows Update)

From: D & E Radel <radel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 10:20:34 +1200

From: "Kevin" <kkadow@gmail.com>

> Yes, there is a fix.
>
> While "Windows Automatic Update" on WinXP doesn't inherently pick
> up proxy settings for IE from the Control Panel, there is a command-line
> tool called "proxycfg" (installed via SP2?) which can force WAU to use
> a proxy. Apparently there is also a way to set the proxy for WAU via
> directly manipulating the registry, if you're cool with that.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that. I wonder the easiest way to roll that out to a large number
of Windows XP machines. Must be able to write some script and deploy via
Group Policy. Not really the scope of this email list, but no doubt a
re-occurring problem for Squid users.

I have just read about Windows Server Update Services which is seemingly a
free service for Server 2003 and has a client for each XP machine. Not sure
which is the best route to take though.

Thanks for your insights.
Dietrich