[squid-users] Squid as an outbound http -> https gateway.

From: Russell Page <russellpage@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 10:28:09 +1000

I have been asked if Squid can act as a protocol gateway, converting http
requests from inside our network to https on the internet.

AsciiCad:

+------+ +----+ +-----------+ +-------------------+
|client| --> http -->|gateway| --> https --> |external server|
+------+ +----+ +-----------+ +-------------------+

I know that squid can do exactly the opposite of this when running as an
accelerator; accept https from a client and pass http to the server.
Unfortunately, ssl is not orthogonal - I can't figure out how to get it to
work the other way around.

I have tried doing this with a redirector but when it feeds an https uri
back to squid, squid still issues a "GET", not a "CONNECT."

I do know that there are products like DeleGate
(http://www.delegate.org/delegate/) that do this but I have been asked
specifically to do this with Squid.

Any ideas?

-- Russell Page.

Certified Solaris Network Administrator

"Life is complex. It has a real part and an imaginary part." - Andrew
Koenig.