Re: [squid-users] Can Squid support Chinese URLs?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 02:39:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 8 May 2005, Hui Xu wrote:

> I'm using Squid as my cache server, and we have wildcard domains. We
> need to use URLs like xxx.mydomain.com and xxx will be Chinese
> characters. But Squid can not deal with this and there will be a mistake.
>
> So is there anybody know how to use Chinese Character URLS?

Yes, provided the client follows standards on IDNs etc.

It does not work out of the box if the client does not rewrite the host
names according to the IDN requirements.

If the DNS names is registered in UTF-8 encoding in addition to IDN names
then it should also work to configure the client to send UTF-8 URLs to
Squid if Squid is built with the --disable-hostname-checks configure
option.