[squid-users] cache machine specs

From: Slacker Ali <slacker10@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 15:53:44 +0500

hi list

       sorry i'm going to ask a very dump question however I need you
gurus suggestions :)

we are going to order new machine for cache/proxy server "squid" we
are already running cache servers all on Intel plateform
This time we want to give a try to AMD processor, what you ppl things
which processor would be benfiical
1) Athlon 32bit or 64bit?
2) opetron ?
I far i can understand, I don't think 64 bit will significantly
improve performance for cache/proxy servers.
64 bit is worth it only for computationally intensive tasks, imho. At
least with ordinary working set sizes.

users to support 250
pipe to internet : 2 mbit

users are dynamic not a corporate users, but dialup users.

I will appreciate if someone using AMD gimme suggestions which...
 processor to select
+ mobo
+ ram (3 gb would be enough?)
+ 3 x 36 gb (sata)?