Re: [squid-users] cache machine specs

From: Kevin <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 01:02:36 -0500

On 5/10/05, Slacker Ali <slacker10@gmail.com> wrote:
> we are going to order new machine for cache/proxy server "squid" we
> are already running cache servers all on Intel plateform

Given your limited performance needs, I would suggest
sticking with Intel processors, putting your money towards
more RAM, faster disks, or building two identical load-balanced
caches.

> This time we want to give a try to AMD processor, what you ppl things
> which processor would be benfiical
> 1) Athlon 32bit or 64bit?
> 2) opetron ?
> I far i can understand, I don't think 64 bit will significantly
> improve performance for cache/proxy servers.

I would tend to agree, but it'd be an interesting benchmark
to try if you have the time and hardware to spare.

> users to support 250
> pipe to internet : 2 mbit
>
> users are dynamic not a corporate users, but dialup users.

Given these limitations on the maximum total and per-user
throughput, you could almost certainly get away with building
on an old (circa 1998) 200Mhz Celeron desktop PC with IDE.

The limiting factor is going to the dialup modem hop to the
end user. In this sort of case, you might want to consider
deploying an optimizing proxy, akin to Juno's SpeedBand(tm)
and similar buzzword-compliant offerings.

> I will appreciate if someone using AMD gimme suggestions which...
> processor to select
> + ram (3 gb would be enough?)

Yes, 3GB should be more than sufficient, even for ten times your
userbase and bandwidth.

> + 3 x 36 gb (sata)?

One drive dedicated to the OS, a second drive for cache_dir,
a third for squid logs? Or a hardware RAID array?

> + mobo

Your choice of motherboard is going to be strongly dependent on
the one factor you don't mention in this message- the OS.

Are you running Squid on OpenBSD? Solaris? FreeeBSD?
Some other Unix-like operating system?;)

For example, if you are going to run a Dual AMD64 machine
under OpenBSD 3.7 (due out May 19, 2005), then you would
want to ask about motherboards on an OpenBSD mailing list.

If you were to choose Solaris, your only supported choices would
be motherboards listed on Sun's official supported hardware list.

Kevin Kadow