Re: [squid-users] dns lookups

From: Kevin <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 23:51:44 -0500

When using a Proxy Automatic Configuration script, the script can be
coded to use the client's own DNS library and search suffixes when a
URL is accessed which is just a bare hostname.

On 5/10/05, D & E Radel <radel@inet.net.nz> wrote:
> I check my resolv.conf, it's sweet. Pinging just the computer name (without
> the DNS suffix appended) from the linux box results in a correct DNS lookup
> and the ping works fine. However, Squid still doesn't resolve just the
> computer name, even though the DNS config of the linux box is working.
>
> I added the append_domain option in Squid. This worked, however not without
> problems. We have *two* domains with lengthy names. When using
> append_domain, it blindly adds the single domain suffix to any computer name
> without dots. If the computer is a member of another Whereas what I need is
> a correct DNS lookup search because of our two domains. If one DNS lookup
> fails, try the next domain suffix, etc.
>
> Is this do-able?

Yes it is do-able, but it's not pretty.

If you reconfigure squid using the "--disable-internal-dns" flag,
recompile, and re-install, squid will go back to the old behavior of
using "dnsserver" with the system resolver library (which obeys
/etc/resolv.conf), instead of the embedded DNS code.

This should address your problem, but may cause other
problems in the long run. The "--disable-internal-dns" configure
option is deprecated, as the dnsserver solution is inefficient,
does not scale well. This could work out okay on a lightly loaded
cache serving a limited number of users.

Kevin Kadow