Re: [squid-users] dns lookups

From: D & E Radel <radel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 17:05:37 +1200

From: "Kevin" <kkadow@gmail.com>

> If you reconfigure squid using the "--disable-internal-dns" flag,
> recompile, and re-install, squid will go back to the old behavior of
> using "dnsserver" with the system resolver library (which obeys
> /etc/resolv.conf), instead of the embedded DNS code.
>
> This should address your problem, but may cause other
> problems in the long run. The "--disable-internal-dns" configure
> option is deprecated, as the dnsserver solution is inefficient,
> does not scale well. This could work out okay on a lightly loaded
> cache serving a limited number of users.

Thanks for that info Kevin. I use the binary packages from Debian because
'They Just WorkT'. Compiling my own packages are not an option for me at
present. A Proxy Automatic Configuration script might be the best long term
solution. I would've thought that there would be "disable_internal_dns"
option or something to that extent in the squid.conf. I mean if a PAC script
can do it without a recompile..... Thanks again Kevin.

regards,
Dietrich