Re: [squid-users] Squid-cache using <1/4th cache size

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 23:49:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Linda W wrote:

> So 1) is it a bug that squid -z ignores the number of dirs in a
> cache line?

Works here.

> 2) Shouldn't object distribution, in the cache, be roughly equal in all
> "buckets"? I can see from the above, a bell curve with 8-11 files/dir
> being the most common -- except for the 1748 dirs that are unused?

No. Squid only fills as many directories as it needs for the cache size.

> 3) Any ideas on why I'm seeing so little %full in the cache -- shouldn't
> it be filling up to near the cache limit?

No. You should have as many files in the cache as Squid reports on
shutdown/startup.

> 4) Any ideas why I'm not seeing a "flatter" directory usage curve?

No.

> 5) Of particular interest: why do I only have about 4700 files when
> the cache dump indicates over 200K entries?

No idea. These should match.

> I would expect ~ 200K items in a cache

Me too.

> 6) Of note:the refresh in absence of a expiration time is:
> refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320

Yes.

> But, as I understand it, the refresh only governs whether or not squid should
> recheck the last-modified date/time stamp for an object (in absence of a
> browser asking for "no-cache"/reload). So if items are not changed, they
> should stay in the cache until it fills up it's quota, at which time the
> replacement algorithm is used to delete old pages (as per the replacement
> policy).

Correct.

> Can anyone shed some light on this?

As something is obviously wrong here I would recommend you to remove the
cache completely and recreate it with "squid -z".