Re: [squid-users] Squid-cache using <1/4th cache size

From: Linda W <squid-user@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:15:54 -0700

followed your directions. It worked.

My bad -- I hadn't deleted the old swap.state files, so it recreated
missing directories (I'm guessing).

Anyway regarding the other questions...

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>> 2) Shouldn't object distribution, in the cache, be roughly equal in all
>> "buckets"? I can see from the above, a bell curve with 8-11 files/dir
>> being the most common -- except for the 1748 dirs that are unused?
>

> No. Squid only fills as many directories as it needs for the cache size.

---
Hmm...  I am guessing it bases directory usage to minimize file-lookup
time based on the number of items in the cache not (i.e. not size
of items), and, I may have had large items in my cache so I reached the
cache's space limit before it needed to use more level-1 dirs?
Anyway -- everything is reinitialized now...will have to wait a while
to see how the cache populates....with my web usage it may be a while.
Thanks for the insights!
Linda