Re: [squid-users] Squid-cache using <1/4th cache size

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 01:00:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Linda W wrote:

> Hmm... I am guessing it bases directory usage to minimize file-lookup
> time based on the number of items in the cache not (i.e. not size
> of items),

yes, sort of. The L2 value of 256 is selected to give reasonably sized
directories which should have good lookup times and filesystem cache hit
ratios on most systems.

> and, I may have had large items in my cache so I reached the
> cache's space limit before it needed to use more level-1 dirs?

May be the case.

There is three condiditons for items to be deleted from the cache:

   1. Replaced by a newer object for the same URL

   2. Removed by the removal policy to make room for new objects when the
cache is full.

   3. Expired and not used in quite a while.