Re: [squid-users] Squid-cache item removal and release-curious

From: Linda W <squid-user@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 18:10:44 -0700

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> There is three condiditons for items to be deleted from the cache:
>
> 1. Replaced by a newer object for the same URL

---
	No brainer.

>   2. Removed by the removal policy to make room for new objects when the
> cache is full.
---
	Again, no brainer.
>   3. Expired and not used in quite a while.
---
	?  If it has "expired"?  It seems that SuSE's 9.1 default
evict line (uncommented in the config file) is
refresh_pattern .               0       20%     4320
	That means everything expires after around 72 minutes?
	So what is meant by "not used in a while".  I.e how long is
a "while"?   Is that a configurable in the config file somewhere that
I missed?  I guess I thought squid kept things around "forever", until
it needed space...  ???
Thanks for the time for answering...I find it enlightening.
BTW -- I may have a distorted sense of time, but it seems like squid3 has
been in pre-release beta for a year or more...?  Any thoughts on when it
might be considered "non-beta" (I've been using it for at least a year
or more, if memory serves me....but it sometimes doesn't :-)) and it
seems fairly solid (knock on wood).
Linda