[squid-users] Squid behind a NAT/FW

From: <colonyofcrumbs@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:56:15 -0400

Greetings,

I already have a machine at the gateway of my network performing NAT and FW tasks. I'd like to configure a proxy behind that machine in order to log/report user's web usage, control Internet access and possibly even schedule when the Internet is accessible and when it shouldn't be (i.e. allowing employees to only access the Internet during their lunch hours). From what I've read, it seems like Squid should help me in this quest.

The problem is I haven't found too many documents on putting squid behind a FW. It seems like most focus on it being the actual NAT or gateway.

Here's my questions:

1) Is it possible to run squid behind a FW?

2) Can you run Squid on one network card?

3) If two network cards are required and it can run behind a FW, should the machine be setup just as a basic router (i.e. 192.168.1.0/25 to/from 192.168.1.128/25) before Squid is added?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you for your time,

Joshua