RE: [squid-users] SquidNT: Strange log entries.

From: Holton, Euan <EHolton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 14:34:57 +0100

> At 11.21 18/05/2005, Holton, Euan wrote:
> > >
> > > Never seen something similar before. It seems some problem on the
> > > communication channel between squid.exe process and the
> > > helpers. What was
> > > the squid uptime ?
> > > Do you rotate logs ?
> > >
> > > A restart of SquidNT service should stop the problem.
> > >
> > > Let me to know if this happens again.
> >
> >Squid was last restarted around 8am on 26 April, and generally isn't
> >under a great deal of load (From cachemgr.cgi: UP Time: 1903558.654
> >seconds; CPU Time: 4763.953 seconds). The server running it
> also runs a
> >couple of other services, none of which exercise the disk system
> >particularly, and the box has 2 CPUs. All of the services
> the box runs
> >are stable (ie, they've run for several weeks without need
> for tweaks or
> >attention). This issue itself appears to be cosmetic, as
> Squid hasn't
> >given us any problems.
> >
> >I currently rotate logs weekly, recently changed from daily
> (a couple of
> >weeks ago), with logfile_rotate set to 14. The service barely pages,
> >90619 page faults with physical I/O.
>
> Nothing strange here.

I didn't think there would be :) Rotation is done at midnight on
Sundays using a scheduled task, which literally just says
c:\squid\sbin\squid -k rotate -n SquidNT.

> >I may update to the latest binaries (2.5 STABLE 9) you offer on your
> >download page. Are there any "gotchas" that should be
> considered before
> >doing so?
>
> Teorically no, but it's always a good idea make a test your
> configuration
> on a non production machine.

Oh how I wish I had a spare server for that :(

Looking at the zip contents, it looks like I'll be able to backup the
current version to a different folder (other than the logs!), then stop
Squid and unzip the new version on top of the current version, and
finally restart Squid. I'll also need to copy the new cachemgi.cgi to
where IIS hosts it from. That way I'll update all the executables in
one swoop.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if I see the issue again with the
latest STABLE.

Regards

Euan Holton