Re: [squid-users] show ips going outside squid

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 19:48:43 +0200

On 26.05 17:40, Abu Khaled wrote:
> Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 17:40:06 +0300
> From: Abu Khaled <khaled.abu@gmail.com>
> To: squid-users@squid-cache.org
> Subject: Re: [squid-users] show ips going outside squid

> > let's call it intercepting proxy.
>
> What happend to the "Transparent Proxy" term. I have been using Squid
> for 3 years now and it was always called "Transparent Proxy".

by a mistake. See RFC 2616:

      "transparent proxy" is a proxy that does not modify the request or
      response beyond what is required for proxy authentication and
      identification. A "non-transparent proxy" is a proxy that modifies
      the request or response in order to provide some added service to
      the user agent, such as group annotation services, media type
      transformation, protocol reduction, or anonymity filtering. Except
      where either transparent or non-transparent behavior is explicitly
      stated, the HTTP proxy requirements apply to both types of
      proxies.

> After
> subscribing to the mailling list all repiles to "Transparent Proxy"
> are answered "Intercepting Proxy". I wonder why ?!

because "intercapting proxy" is the right term.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759