Re: [squid-users] Permission denied on squidguard

From: PF <pf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:25:10 +0530 (IST)

>> ..in the squid.conf I have the default parameter,
>> therefore :
>>
>> # cache_effective_user squid
>> # cache_effective_group squid
>>
>> .. still thanks.
>
> As per configuration, you have to start squid with
> squid:squid user and group setup. Do su squid to start
> it.
>
> If you want to start it as root then configure
> cache_effective_user root
> cache_effective_user root
> and start them.
>
> P.S: Read squid.conf for cache_effective_user TAG. If
> you start root (uid=0) you will have security problem.

Though it would make life easier to run squid or any other program as
root, its _NOT_ advisable to do so especially if the server is connected
directly to the internet. It might require a bit of brain storming and
some time to setup squid and squidGuard running as user squid.

--
The future is uncertain and the end is always near