Re: [squid-users] Failover with 2 parents

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 08:03:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Konstantin Polihronov wrote:

> In the A-office I'm using child-proxy which redirects requests to the
> parent1, and I want to make failover in case when internet line for parent1
> is down to redirect requests to parent2 in branch2.

If you use ICP then this should be automatic after some time, when the
parent detects it's Internet is not working and enters so called "Hit only
mode". But this takes a while before it kicks in (there must be a
significant amount of failed requests on that Squid for "Hit only mode" to
be activated).

If the parents have a reasonably short connect_timeout then the failover
should also be automatic. But at the same time this increases the risk of
false failures when the origin web server is just slow at accepting the
connection so it is not an universal solution to the problem.