Re: AW: [squid-users] HttpRequestHeader "If-None-Match" problem with Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 13:50:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> If-Modified-Since is also missing

Do your responses have a Last-Modified? If not there isn't anything to
relate If-Modified-Since to..

> So I have now no idea, why the static content is cacheable, but not my dynamic.

What does the cacheability check engine say about your dynamic content?

> Is it not possible, to cache dynamic content ?

There is no difference in caching as such. Most dynamic content however
does not have any information telling how long it may be cached or when
the content was last modified so caches assume the content is dynamically
generated for each request and should not be cached..

For something to be cached caches must have some reasonable means of
knowing the response may be reused for another request. The
Expires/Last-Modifed/Cache-Control max-age response headers play a crucial
role in this. In addition your refresh_pattern rules is used when no
explicit expiry is known (Expires/max-age)