RE: [squid-users] timesout on always_direct

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:48:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 31 May 2005, [iso-8859-1] "Peņa, Botp" wrote:

> 1. can you give me a hint here why? The 192.168.25.60 is a windows machine
> that answers everyone.

Can you reach it directly from the Squid server without using Squid?

> 2. Also, I am confuse because the always_direct seems to affect the whole
> proxy behavior. If i browse to other sites/hosts eg www.cnn.com, it times
> out nonetheless. I reckon it should timeout only when i connect to
> 192.168.25.60, no?

Correct.

Perhaps the problem is different entirely...

a dst type ACL requires working DNS. If your Squid is on a private network
without working DNS then odd things will happen.

Workaround to run Squid on a private network without DNS:

   1. Build Squid with --disable-internal-dns

   2. Configure your OS to not use DNS. This is probably already done if no
DNS on your network. Verify by "host www.squid-cache.org" which should
return immediately that the host is not known.