Re: [squid-users] Advice on performance

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:47:26 +0200

On 01.06 19:09, squid squid wrote:
> The general info and squid.conf for my 4 squid servers as follows:

useless.

> Pls advise how is their performance and any tuning needed in order to have
> better performance.

> Squid.conf (identical for all servers)
> # NETWORK OPTIONS
> http_port 3128
> icp_port 0

why did you turn off ICP? Turn it on and configure all caches as neighbours
to each other. You will spare much of network bandwidth.

> # OPTIONS WHICH AFFECT THE CACHE SIZE
> cache_mem 10 MB

unless you are low on memory, increase this. If you are low on memory, get
more memory and increase this after.

> maximum_object_size 1024 KB

too low, I cache objects up to 32 MB. However that is highly dependant on
cache size.

> maximum_object_size_in_memory 1024 KB

too high, I have 128KB to have more object with smaller sizes in memory

> # LOGFILE PATHNAMES & CACHE DIRECTORIES
> # Setting for null storage to avoid having a cache directory
> cache_dir null /export/home/log/squid/null

in such case, I understand why you have damn low efficiency. Your cache is
4 x 10 MB of ram and they are even not shared (via neighbour proxies).

get some disks

> # OPTIONS FOR TUNING THE CACHE
> request_header_max_size 5 KB

low. the default is 20KB for now

> negative_ttl 5 minutes
> positive_dns_ttl 30 minutes
> negative_dns_ttl 1 minutes

use internal DNS and that will make these useless. (DNS system has its own
timeouts configured by admins of remote sites that are probably better than
your values)

> # HTTPD-ACCELERATOR OPTIONS
> # For Squid to run as transparent proxy
> httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

do you use it as cache for outgoing requests or as HTTP accelerator? in both
cases bigger cache_mem is useful (and configuring all proxies as neighbours
too), in the first case big disks are important (some disk cache may help
you even when using squids as accelerators).

> # MISCELLANEOUS
>
> memory_pools off

remove this (default is on)

How does cat play with mouse? cat /dev/mouse