Re: [squid-users] Advice on performance

From: squid squid <squidusr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:31:06 +0800

Hi,

Thank you for the advise. All the servers are also running apache as web and
BIND as dns service. # of them on RedHat Linux and has 2GB RAM. The other on
Solaris 8 and has 256MB RAM. I will have the changes for items such as
cahce_mem, etc made asap. However pls advise how do I configure them as
neighbours??? I am also using them for proxy purposes and no disk caching.
Regards.

>From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk>
>To: squid-users@squid-cache.org
>Subject: Re: [squid-users] Advice on performance
>Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:47:26 +0200
>
>On 01.06 19:09, squid squid wrote:
> > The general info and squid.conf for my 4 squid servers as follows:
>
>useless.
>
> > Pls advise how is their performance and any tuning needed in order to
>have
> > better performance.
>
> > Squid.conf (identical for all servers)
> > # NETWORK OPTIONS
> > http_port 3128
> > icp_port 0
>
>why did you turn off ICP? Turn it on and configure all caches as neighbours
>to each other. You will spare much of network bandwidth.
>
> > # OPTIONS WHICH AFFECT THE CACHE SIZE
> > cache_mem 10 MB
>
>unless you are low on memory, increase this. If you are low on memory, get
>more memory and increase this after.
>
> > maximum_object_size 1024 KB
>
>too low, I cache objects up to 32 MB. However that is highly dependant on
>cache size.
>
> > maximum_object_size_in_memory 1024 KB
>
>too high, I have 128KB to have more object with smaller sizes in memory
>
> > # LOGFILE PATHNAMES & CACHE DIRECTORIES
> > # Setting for null storage to avoid having a cache directory
> > cache_dir null /export/home/log/squid/null
>
>in such case, I understand why you have damn low efficiency. Your cache is
>4 x 10 MB of ram and they are even not shared (via neighbour proxies).
>
>get some disks
>
> > # OPTIONS FOR TUNING THE CACHE
> > request_header_max_size 5 KB
>
>low. the default is 20KB for now
>
> > negative_ttl 5 minutes
> > positive_dns_ttl 30 minutes
> > negative_dns_ttl 1 minutes
>
>use internal DNS and that will make these useless. (DNS system has its own
>timeouts configured by admins of remote sites that are probably better than
>your values)
>
> > # HTTPD-ACCELERATOR OPTIONS
> > # For Squid to run as transparent proxy
> > httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
>
>do you use it as cache for outgoing requests or as HTTP accelerator? in
>both
>cases bigger cache_mem is useful (and configuring all proxies as neighbours
>too), in the first case big disks are important (some disk cache may help
>you even when using squids as accelerators).
>
> > # MISCELLANEOUS
> >
> > memory_pools off
>
>remove this (default is on)
>
>--
>Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
>Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address.
>Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT akukolvek reklamnu postu.
>How does cat play with mouse? cat /dev/mouse

Get an advanced look at the new version of MSN Messenger.
http://messenger.msn.com.sg/Beta/Default.aspx