Re: [squid-users] Sharing cache data for hostnames with equal content (web acceleration)

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:28:11 +0200

On 09.06 12:09, Anders Nordby wrote:
> I'm using Squid as a web accelerator. Some users like to use addresses
> with www., and some don't. Is it possible to make Squid recognize
> different hostnames/subdomains having the same content?

there's a patch that has to detect if the requested file is already in the
cache, even if fetched from different site:
http://devel.squid-cache.org/projects.html#dsa

However it's for squid-2.4 only :(

> If not, then this means Squid will use excessive memory/diskspace, to
> cache this data for the different variations of hostnames, right?

yes. I know it's not good but this problem really lies on the server side.
I think servers shouldn't provide two different virtualhosts with the same
data, but better send redirects from alternative virtualhost to the main
one. Bad that e.g. apache does not do that automatically for server aliases.

> This might be something we need to deal with when purging data
> automatically. Would be easier if Squid could just handle it.

servers should take care of it first (vhost aliases), then a protocol should
probably count with it (expand Content-Location to virtualhost too?)

Your mouse has moved. Windows NT will now restart for changes to take
to take effect. [OK]