Re: [squid-users] Recommended Hardware for my setup

From: Jason Williams <jwilliams@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:39:39 -0700

Denis Vlasenko wrote:

>IMHO:
>
>~1GHz CPU will be enough. The bigger your disk cache, the more
>RAM you'll need. My on-disk cache size is 377,400,741, RAM usage is:
>
> PID USER PRI NI SIZE RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM TIME CPU COMMAND
>20383 squid 16 0 27548 22M 800 S 0.0 9.2 43:05 0 squid
>
>Feel free to extrapolate.
>
>Unless your company insists on having blazing download speeds
>with multiple downloads from many machines, you can get away
>with fairly ordinary disks. Typically it is limited by
>speed of external link.
>--
>vda

Thanks for the suggestions.

I do have a 'desktop' type box with the following specs on it:

-1.8ghz Athlon CPU
-1gig DDR Ram
-1 80 gig IDE drive.

Nothing fancy, but it might work. I'd like a 1U solution, but if this
fits the bill, it is something I definitely could work with.
I priced a Dell Power Edge 750, with a 2.4ghz, 512mb RAM, 40gig drive,
1U for about $500. If I can avoid that, I will though so i can save some
cash.

Besides Squid, i'm looking for additional content/web filtering ideas.
the two im currently looking at are:

http://dansguardian.org/

http://www.safesquid.com/home/portal.php?page=5

If anyone has other's they like, im all eyes.

Thanks,

Jason