Re: [squid-users] Recommended Hardware for my setup

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:16:12 +0200

On 14.06 11:39, Jason Williams wrote:
> I do have a 'desktop' type box with the following specs on it:
>
> -1.8ghz Athlon CPU
> -1gig DDR Ram
> -1 80 gig IDE drive.
>
> Nothing fancy, but it might work. I'd like a 1U solution, but if this
> fits the bill, it is something I definitely could work with.
> I priced a Dell Power Edge 750, with a 2.4ghz, 512mb RAM, 40gig drive,
> 1U for about $500. If I can avoid that, I will though so i can save some
> cash.

both should be enough, however I'd advise a bit more RAM for both cases,
expecially if you are going to do more than just proxying there.

The CPU is not that important, unless you have large ACL lists and can't
optimize them, or don't do _hard_ content filtering.

I'd prefer the first configuration and it should be enough for squid and
filters too.

Chernobyl was an Windows 95 beta test site.