Re: [squid-users] Modifying content passing through proxy?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 01:39:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Ed W wrote:

> Rabbit doesn't quite do what I want, in particular it doesn't easily let the
> user change back and forward to higher quality versions. I want more control
> over this and am quite prepared to write something. I also have other
> requirements and will probably need a proxy client on the laptop end and also
> something else at the server end because I implement a compressing tunnel
> using an advanced compression algorithm.

Based on the above I would go for a layered approach. One layer handling
the compression and tunnel, the other layer handling the quality.

Squid isn't really suitable for any of these layers, but fits quite well
between the layers for caching the results.

   connection/compression & control layer.

   quality layer, consisting of
      squid cache (optional if your recoder has a good cache)
      recoder

   optional outer squid cache

   internet

the contol component selects the proper quality layer depending on the
users preference.

the different quality layers share a common outer squid layer for caching
Internet traffic.