[squid-users] Delay pools/bandwidth limiting -- do they work?

From: Linda W <squid-user@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:13:39 -0700

I rebuilt squid with delay pools built-in. I added an ACL for
my specific host, even for my entire subnet. I reduced the
aggregate and specific IP to 5/5 & 1/1 and noticed no delay
on loading web pages. DSL Reports measured over 1Mb download and
over 600Kb upload. Do delay pools actually work? Relevant params:

First tried it with 2 pools, but in trying to simplify went down to
1 pool with my entire subnet included:
delay_pools 1
delay_class 1 2
acl test_subnet src 192.168.3.0/255.255.255.0
delay_access 1 allow test_subnet
delay_access 1 allow all
delay_parameters 1 5/5 1/1 # have tried ranges from 8000/8000 ->1/1
delay_initial_bucket_level 50

---
Near as I can tell this should slow me down to about 1 byte/second,
but am not seeing any noticable delay.
I did have 2 pools, with my test_subnet, in the restricted pool, but
when that failed, tried to simplify to 1 pool and an absurdly low
limit...but seems to have no effect.  I also had a host-specific
acl, and noted in the cache log that my host matched the host-specific
acl -- but that made no difference
Am I missing something obvious?  There is no direct or routed access
from the internal subnet to the outside.   Tracing and debug output
from the squid cache show that the client (my machine in this case)
is going through the cache....but the limits don't seem to be enforced
very well....
Help?
thanks,
Linda