Re: [squid-users] Delay pools/bandwidth limiting -- do they work?

From: Linda W <squid-user@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:20:47 -0700

Armin Marxer wrote:
> Have you tried checking up on the pools in the cachemgr.cgi?
>
> It can indicate to you if the clients are falling into the pools
> or not.

---
	Sometimes I see my life as a sitcom -- w/me making silly mistakes
and some laugh track going in the background....
	Before you sent your question on "cachemgr.cgi", I'd already spent a
few hours trying to get that to work, to no avail.  I'm not running a
web-server, but am just using squid's caching features.  "cachemgr.cgi"
_looks_ like it wants to be run out of some server's cgi-bin directory.  I
wasn't able to figure out how to get it to be called on my web-proxy.
I have an alias for my machine "web-proxy" (oh so original, ya know! :-)) and
have it setup on port 8080.  I setup various net and host based based ACL's to
allow access to the proxy.  I tried allowing access to "cgi-bin/cachemgr.cgi"
to local machine as well as opening it to any request from internal subnet...
I kept getting Invalid URL for addr:
"http://web-proxy:8080/cgi-bin/cachemgr.cgi"
***ERROR***
The requested URL could not be retrieved.
While trying to retrieve the URL: /cgi-bin/cachemgr.cgi
The following error was encountered:  "Invalid URL"
Some aspect of the requested URL is incorrect. Possible problems:
     Missing or incorrect access protocol (should be `http://'' or similar)
     Missing hostname
     Illegal double-escape in the URL-Path
     Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed
----
	If I was running a web-server, I'd know where to put the file, but
it's not too clear to me where the "root" of my web-proxy is.  I tried placing
links named "cgi-bin" in various places (that pointed to
/usr/local/squid/libexec) (squid dir, squid cache dir...et al.) but no luck --
in doing an "strace" of the squid process, it never seems to actually try to
open a pathname to the file, so I must not have something access setup correctly
in my config file.
	So...um...short answer to what "cachemgr.cgi" prints out...dunno.  Not that I
wouldn't _like_ to know...but after beating head against wall a few times
and not finding anything in the docs...well...just was frustrated.
	Also, curiosity and strangeness.  I "thought" I had to recompile squid
to get a transparent proxy out of it, but then I was a bit 'confused'...on
a 2.6 kernel...I wasn't sure if linux-netfilter was all I needed or if
I'm doing transparent relaying to specific IP's if I would need IP filtering,
and I had no clue as to what pf-transparent was...(sigh)....
	Many config options, but not clear what they all do....
Another example why would one choose "poll" vs. "select"/"kqueue"/"epoll".  Are
some available only on some architectures?  Which are best for linux or are
their tradeoffs?
Anyway...am more than a little in the dark...sigh
thanks for any light/pointers....
-linda