Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.5STABLE10 core dumps

From: Odhiambo Washington <wash@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 06:29:35 +0300

* Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> [20050626 00:30]: wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
> >I have been running squid-2.5STABLE5 for ages and was generally
> >happy. Today I upgraded to STABLE10 on FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE and all hell
> >broke loose.
> >
> >I use squid in a transparent proxy setup using IPFilter and
> >DansGuardian.
>
> Most likely you have not completed the IP-Filter configuration. Squid
> needs to be given access to the nat device (/dev/nat or /dev/ipf or
> similar depending on OS flavor)

So much for not reading the docs/changelog! I was too assuming, but
yes, I have not made any system configuration changes so your judgement
could be 99.99% correct!

> Squid-2.5.STABLE9 and eariler didn't notice this config error until a old
> style HTTP/1.0 request was seen. STABLE10 sees the error on the first
> request and then crashes due to a new bug, but after first reporting the
> system config error in cache.log... A patch is available to not crash
> Squid on this error, but the system config error still needs to be
> corrected and also avoids the bug causing the crash.

I've looked at the patch, and the cache.log and yes, I do see the
following:

2005/06/25 19:47:21| parseHttpRequest: NAT open failed: (13) Permission denied
FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying.

So it is true I was bitten by that bug.

        Best regards,
        Odhiambo Washington
        Systems Admin,
        Wananchi Online Ltd.

Are you hosting your domain name with the leaders??:
See http://webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/KE

DISCLAIMER : http://ns2.wananchi.com/~wash/Email/disclaimer.txt
 Odhiambo WASHINGTON . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)
 http://www.wananchi.com/email/ . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,
 Mobile: (+254) 722 743 223 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI