[squid-users] Memory trouble with big files

From: <lst_hoe01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:08:55 +0200

Hello

we have since long ago using a Squid cache (Version 2.2.Stable5) with no problem
on a 512MB RAM machine for our network. After using an other http gateway
virusscanner we get problems with squid trying to get even relly big files
first into memory before transfer it to the clients. This lead to a squid
process using all available memory until it is killed by the OS if we try to
download files excceding the RAM size (~500MB).

We have set the following parameters :

cache_mem 32 MB

maximum_object_size 200000 KB

cache_dir /var/squid/cache 2000 16 256

memory_pools off

Is this expected behavior?
Would upgrad to the latest squid version help?
Some parameters to set?
Something the virusscanner doing nasty?

The chain is clients -> squid -> virusscanner ----> internet.

With the old viruswall from TrendMicro we could download files much bigger than
this without trouble.

Thanxs for any help.

Regards

Andreas