Re: [squid-users] Does Squid move objects from disk to RAM?

From: Kinkie <kinkie-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:09:27 +0200

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 19:59 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 04:36 AM 7/1/2005, Kinkie wrote:
>
> >Huh? Just put your cache_dir in a ramdisk or tmpfs (i.e. /dev/shm on
> >recent Linuxes, /tmp on Solaris, don't really know about other OSes..)
>
> If you do that, you lose it when you reboot. And unless it's your
> entire cache, you have to split between disk and RAM. The split
> will occur at random, so you won't be able to keep the most
> popular objects in RAM.
>
> In short, you can't implement a classic multilevel cache this way.

You're totally right, you can't do a multi-level cache in this way
(actually with squid the only multi-level you can do right now is with
cache_mem - kinda sorta)

Maybe I misunderstood your usage scenario: I thought you were in a
reverse proxy scenario, and in that case the cost for populating the
cache from scratch is not high.
Also, system reboots are not that frequent anymore nowadays (I've had
reverse-proxy systems where the OS would run for 1.5 years and squid
processes would run for 6+ months without restarting).

        Kinkie