Re: [squid-users] any updates/info on using spread with squid for logging ?

From: john allspaw <jallspaw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:58:18 -0700 (PDT)

actually using the FIFO file works, but under high load, something Very Wrong happens, and squid starts either slowing down, or refuses connections.

  basically, I have:
  cache_access_log /tmp/squidlogs
  (and emulate_httpd_log on)

  where /tmp/squidlogs is:
  prw-r--r--  1 squid root 0 Jul  9 18:47 squidlogs

  and I'm using the perl/spread logging script provided by the people who made mod_log_spread
  (found here:   http://tinyurl.com/7fond)

 to send the requests to spread, like this:

  /bin/sh -c exec /usr/local/bin/error_log_spread.pl -h -g error -s 4809 < /tmp/squidlogs

  I'm using spreadlogd on the logging machine, and it's a very simple config:

  BufferSize = 65536
  Spread {
          Port = 4809
          Log {
                  RewriteTimestamp = CommonLogFormat
                  Group = access
                 File = /var/log/spread/squid-access_log
          }

 I know that this isn't the spread-users list (I'll post this there, as well), but I'm wondering if the reason this doesn't work is on the squid/spread/OS side of things.   As soon as I turn on logging (it's commented out in squid.conf at the moment) squid quickly starts to take longer and longer to answer queries, and becomes unusable after a couple of minutes.

  Also:  these squids are being used as accelerator/surrogates, they're doing about 250 req/sec at peak.
  thanks for any help,
  john