Re: [squid-users] Windows update hangs

From: Sunil S <sunils@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:39:53 +0530

Are you getting your users to authenticate when they connect?

Windows update looks like is not capable of working well with authenticating proxies. If you exclude URLs used by Windows updates from authenticating, it will go through.

Look at access.log to see the URLs used by Windows Updates.

Regards

Sunil

Sunil S
Deputy Manager - ERP,
Petroleum House Annexe - 2,
Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd.,
17 - JD Tata Road, Mumbai - 400 020.

Phone: 91-22-22863273
             91-9323737162
>>> Lasse Mørk <debian@cyrix.dk> 08/11/05 6:52 PM >>>

Hi Aaron
The squid is not running as a transperent proxy, and we have manually set
the proxy settings in I-Explore.

It works though, but takes 30min - 1hour or so to connect. And forever to
download the updates. :(

> Hi Lasse
>
> It could be related to the problem I'm having, depending on how your proxy
> it set up. I'm trying to build a box to manage the Quarantine network in
> our environment and the Windows Update site hangs/fails for me as well.
> The
> problem in my case is that Squid is a transparent proxy, and when you
> click
> on either the "Custom" or "Express" options, it briefly requires an SSL
> connection to download.windowsupdate.com - since Squid doesn't seem to
> have
> a way to do that in transparent mode, it fails.
>
> If I set IE to use Squid as a proxy directly, it'll work. Have you tried
> setting the proxy settings directly in IE yet?
>
> Aaron
>
> Lasse Mørk wrote:
>> Is there anyway to get around this issue?
>>
>> It just stalls now where it looks for latest updates.
>> Maybe without caching the windows update files?
>>
>> I am getting kinda desperate!
>>

>>>Hmm.. Dosn't seem to help :(
>>>
>>>It still lacks and run terrible slow.

> --
>
> Aaron McDonnell
> Network Administrator
> Network Operations Centre
> University of Western Ontario
> Tel: 519-661-2111 ext. 86558

This e-mail message is only to be used by intended recipients and all others may kindly
delete it and notify the sender. Unless expressly authorized by HPCL, the views
expressed and the message itself is that of the individual sender and recipients are
cautioned to check messages/ attachments for any viruses before use. Users
acknowledge that messages may contain confidential, proprietary or privileged
information and that HPCL neither assures nor guarantees integrity or content of
messages.