Re: FW: [squid-users] reverse proxy

From: Darryl L. Miles <darryl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:45:10 +0100

John Rooney wrote:

>Under normal conditions, the firewall will forward all http traffic to
>squid and that will reverse proxy to the other web hosts on the network.
>I don't see it as http acceleration, but it would appear that is how the
>squid community refer to it. Essentially it is host redirection that I
>want but I want it with proxying as well.

Explain this, its not clear what you mean. WHAT SORT OF HTTP TRAFFIC ?
and how is the traffic forwarded, is the firewall doing any form of NAT
with it ?

There are two main situations:

Forward Proxy : Firewalls can forward traffic to squid by "intercepting"
traffic that that browser client thinks is really coming from the target
website. This at a TCPIP level is often called "transparent proxy" and
requires appropiate NAT support to be setup at the squid host to
translate the IPs of the target site.

Reverse Proxy : (Http Accelerator) this is where you might have a load
balancer device that allows you to host your high traffic / availability
website through a virtual IP (VIP). This is an IP address that a router
like device announces on your network that your public facing interface
hosts the website from, any connection to the IPs again under goes
network address translation (NAT) so that you can hit a specific host in
your cluster allowing you to load balance the trasffic across your
cluster. The hosts in the cluster must have their default route setup
to go back through the load balancer device (so it can de-NAT).

So... which is it ?

Are you proving a shared cache for a browser client network to reduce
your inbound IP transit volume ?

Or are you providing a cache to front your high volume / high
availabilty website ?

--
Darryl L. Miles