RE: [squid-users] Squid sqeeze http 100 Continue messages ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:38:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Graeme Bisset wrote:

> I appreciate that squid is not supposed to be HTTP/1.1 compatible but I
> was wondering if you knew what would be involved in adding support for
> this message?

This message REQUIRES HTTP/1.1. Servers MUST NOT (according to the
HTTP/1.1 specifications) respond with a 1xx message in response to a
HTTP/1.0 request.

But the use of 100 Continue in the thread referenced is not HTTP/1.1
compliant from what I could tell and the proposed scheme would not work
even if Squid was fully HTTP/1.1 compliant.

"100 Continue" is a somewhat odd message in the HTTP protocol in that it
is transport link dependent but still an end-to-end message. If any
transport link in the forwarding chain is HTTP/1.0 then "100 Continue"
MUST NOT be used.

What should be added to Squid (2.5 even) is the knowledge that "Expect:
100-continue" can not be met by HTTP/1.0 proxies such as Squid and the
request should be immediately rejected with a "417 Expectation failed"
error response.

Making the proxy fake "100 Continue" responses is not safe as it is
explicitly forbidden by the HTTP specifications and may make the clients
draw false conclusions about the status of their requests.

Atting support for forwarding "100 Continue" messages should not be very
hard I think, but it won't get any meaningful use until Squid is HTTP/1.1
compliant and forwards requests using HTTP/1.1.