Re: [squid-users] squidNT 2.5 STABLE10 service not loaded on startup

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 16:36:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Guillaume wrote:

> hi,
> I experience a new problem with squidNT proxy.
> I setup the server to reboot every days (near 06:00am) , and on the
> startup, the squid service is not loaded. I don't have any errors in
> the event viewer (in application, or system).

Anything in cache.log? Most likely it can't find it's visible hostname
automatically, and you should set visible_hostname (or unique_hostname) in
squid.conf.

> the debug is not activated because its in production enviro.

???

Are you saying you have explicitly disabled the cache.log log file, making
your Squid run blindly in the dark, or only that you have not set any
specific debug options in squid.conf?

disabling cache.log is only recommended if absolutely must (i.e. if there
is no writeable disk or ramdisk where cache.log can be saved).

for production use the default debug option setting is recommended, and is
what you get if you don't say anything else explicitly in squid.conf.