[squid-users] cache_peer problem

From: Solaris2005 <rajeshbreddy2@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 04:49:24 -0700 (PDT)

 Hi All,

 I have 2 proxies where the parent is open to the
 internet behind the Firewall and another proxy which
 cannot go direct to the internet. When a user tries
 to access any web site, first it goes to the
 child proxy server. Child proxy server will then
 forward the request to parent proxy (cache_peer). So
 cache_peer (parent proxy) should be doing DNS lookup
 for the web site URL. My problem is the child proxy
 is doing DNS lookup's. I want to reduce load on
 child proxy. How can I make my parent proxy to do
 DNS lookups? There is no need for the child
 proxy to do DNS quesries when a user tries to access
 some web site on the Internet. Any help would be
 really appreciated.

 My config in squid.conf file is

 cache_peer 172.26.x.x parent 3128 3130 no-query
no-digest
 acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
 never_direct allow all

 What happens if I change the above configuration to

cache_peer 172.26.x.x parent 3128 3130 no-query
proxy-only
 acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
 never_direct allow all

 If I add proxy-only option will child proxy stop
 doing DNS lookups. Any help would be really
 appreciated.

 Thanks,