Re: [squid-users] cache hit and byte hit ratio

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:27:29 +0200

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 12:21:35PM +0100, lokesh.khanna@accelonafrica.com wrote:
> I am running squid 2.5.10 stable.
> I noticed cache hit ratio on my server is 30 % but byte hit ratio is
> less than 15 %.
> How can I increase byte hit ratio. I want to save BW. I am not able to
> save much.

It surely depends on which kind of objects are stored. Assume that half
of the objects are cached but each one is just 100 bytes. Then you would
have 50% cache hit ratio but perhaps only 0.0001% byte hit ratio.

Not every object is cachable. Just use a large disk and if you have
multiple proxys then establish a sibling relationship between them.
There's not much else you can do. "Tweaking" refresh times surely breaks
more applications than it helps you.

And if you want to save 95% bandwidth: block porn sites. ;)

Regards
 Christoph

--
~