Re: [squid-users] remote 403 error through squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 06:11:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Thomas Reed wrote:

> Details:
>
> If i hit the website as http://we.bs.ite/ I get a 403 error from the
> webserver there, I'm guessing its denying me a directory listing.

In all similar cases shown so far the cause have been malfunctioing web
servers (or related equipment such as firewalls or IDS systems) getting
wrongly upset about some HTTP detail.

would be much easier to help you if you could provide the name of the
actual site in question.

If not then bang the web site with different mutations of the HTTP request
as sent when going directly or when going via the proxy until you find
what is making the difference, then read RFC2616 on what that request
header is supposed to mean and ponder on if this could be a valid reason
to a 403 Forbidden response (answer: it is not).

The only cases seen where it has not been due to malfunctioning web
servers is when the requestors proxy server had been banned from using the
requested site at all, but then all requests to the site returns 403
regardless of the URL, and also when runing a browser locally on the proxy
server but without using the proxy.. (the ban is on the IP of the proxy).