Re: [squid-users] constant high CPU (>75%) w/ Squid25-STABLE10? thought it was cache-digests, but no ...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:09:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, OpenMacNews wrote:

> changing, in squid.conf,
>
> cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 8118 7 default

> cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 8118 7 no-netdb-exchange default
>
> results in my squid-related CPU util staying, now, at < 1%, except, of
> course, when accessing a site/page ...

Interesting..

Can you try again, this time issuing a "squid -k debug" while experiencing
the problem and then see cache.log for detailed output of what your squid
is doing. (run "squid -k debug" again to stop the debug output).

It is possible your parent is returning some odd response in response to
the netdb exchange request, confusing Squid. From looking at the source I
have a theory on what it may be.. (theory: no HTTP header found within the
first 4096 bytes of the reply, shows up in the debug log as a high rate of
"netdbExchangeHandleReply: start parsing loop, size = 0")

If you can confirm this please file a bug report.