Re: [squid-users] disk partition locations ?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:30:46 +0200

On 12.09 09:55, Chris Robertson wrote:
> As I understand it, squid only populates cache_mem with newly requested
> objects (not objects from disk), so if you restart Squid, that 2GB of RAM
> is going to lay fallow. Using a smaller cache_mem allows the OS to use
> the rest of the memory to cache disk hits.

If they have 40% mem hit ratio, I wouldn't decrease cache_mem.

I would try to decrease maximum_object_size_in_memory a bit and/or use
memory_replacement_policy heap GSDF to try get bigger % of memory hits for
smaller files and to reduce disk seeks (they are the slowest part) but I
would be very carefull when doing this and check what impact it has on
efficiency and performance.

depending on network utilisation and data on webservers I would try set up
those caches as neighbours and configure multicast ICP between them, maybe
on separate subnet

> > ok, from what you're both saying, I might not have to worry
> > about where to put the 5Gb partitions on these drives, but
> > basically, it can't hurt.  I've been going on the assumption
> > that the most important performance gains will come from 1)
> > the xtra spindles, and 2) the better seek times on the 15K
> > SCSI (versus 7200k SATA) drives.

you should simply put all partitions on start of disks

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.