Re: [squid-users] Cache_access_log for Squid 2.5STABLE6 unable to write to /dev/stdout

From: marlowe <marlowe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:12:39 -0400

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, marlowe wrote:
>
>> I set the write bit for other in the /dev/ directory. The permissions
>> on /dev read
>

> You should not do this. Very risky thing to do.
>
>> I also set the write bit for other for /dev/stdout. On CentOS 4.1,
>> /dev/stdout is a symlink for /proc/self/fd/1 which is in turn a
>> symlink for /dev/pts/0. The permissions on /dev/pts/0 are as follows
>>
>> crw--w-w- 1 marlowe tty 136, 0 Sep 20 16:51 /dev/pts/0
>

>> It is my understand that with these other write permissions in place,
>> the user squid should be able to write to /dev/stdout. However when I
>> attempt to start squid, I still receive the same error message. I
>> tried to run my start script from the CLI and received the same error
>> messages. What else should I be looking at?
>

> Are you starting Squid as yourself, or as root? I only tried as myself.
>
> Additionally it may be worth upgrading. I have only tried this with
> 2.5.STABLE11. Running a somewhat recent version is recommended anyway..
>
> REgards
> Henrik

Henrik,

My first attempt was starting it as root. I tried running it as myself
and was successful. However I would prefer to run it as root, shed
privliges and run as a user without a shell.

I am not sure I understand why the squid user is unable to write to
STDOUT. I don't believe it can be the permissions on STDOUT since an
addition of write permissions for other did not allow it. I would
appreciate some ideas on why squid isn't able to write to STDOUT.

I am running the CentOS 4.1 squid-2.5.STABLE3.6E.14 RPM released on 15
Sep 05, https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2005-766.html.

Thank you for all your help, you have provided me with a couple of ideas
to explore.

Patrick