Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid "stalling" downloads

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 23:03:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 cgfreita@unipam.edu.br wrote:

> I am trying to convince Squid to allow me to run cachemgr or
> squidclient. There is a rule blocking me. I am trying to collect the
> data suggested by Henrik.

The default ruleset suggested in the squid.conf shipped by Squid allows
cachemgr access from localhost and localhost only, but if you have
inserted your rules in another order than suggested then it may be
possible that you have unintentionally overridden these rules.

What does your http_acces rules look like? It shoul look somehting like
the following:

# Only allow cachemgr access from localhost
http_access allow manager localhost
http_access deny manager
# Deny requests to unknown ports
http_access deny !Safe_ports
# Deny CONNECT to other than SSL ports
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
# Deny users to proxy to localhost
http_access deny to_localhost

# your http_access rules
http_access ....
http_access ....
http_access ....

# And finally deny all other access to this proxy
http_access deny all

> Actually my "firewall" is just a Linux machine with iptables.
> It has Slackware 10.1, kernel 2.6.12.2 and iptables 1.3.2 and
> was working fine until now. But, I have already included it
> back in my "blacklist". I am wondering about connection
> tracking feature.

The Linux iptables firewall is very good, but there has been some reports
about the TCP window tracking introduced in recent versions perhaps not
always getting things correct. If you suspect this may be the case then
you can try

   echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_be_liberal

on the firewall. This marginally reduces the security of the TCP window
tracking making it behave more like the connection tracking in earlier
kernels.

but I doubt this is your problem.