Re: [squid-users] Which the best OS for Squid?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:07:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 trainier@kalsec.com wrote:

> This is more of a filesystem question, then it is an operating
> system/distro question.
> Based on my research, the benchmarks on the web claim ReiserFS to provide
> up to 15-20% faster results.
>
> I've not had any time to do any benchmarking. My cache is currently
> running on an ext3 partition running
> under SLES8 SP3

Regardless of which filesystem you select the most important tuning aspect
for filesystem performance for Squid (after selection of hardware) is the
noatime mount option.

A more complete list, in priority order:

   1. Amount of memory available

   2. Number of harddrives used for cache

   3. noatime mount option

   4. type of filesystem (except for a few really bad choices).

On systems with syncronous directory updates (Solaris, some BSD versions)

   1.5 Mount option to enable asyncronous directory updates, or preferably
a filesystem meta journal on a separate device taking the heat of
directory updates.