[squid-users] Squid Memory usage on Fedora Core 3

From: Daniel Latshaw <dlatshaw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:15:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

I have configured Squid 2.5 on a PC with 1GB RAM and a DualCore
Processor. Fedora is installed with an SMP Kernel. my swap file size
is 300MB

When i start squid, the computer slows to a halt. I have followed the
sugestions in the FAQ of:

1. reduce cache_mem
2. set memory_pool to off
3. reduced maximum_object_size

i did not try, however,

4. a different malloc
5. using NOVOM, as i believe this is only for 1.1
6. changing cache_swap, as i could not find it in the config file.

When i start squid, there is a process owned by root that is using 376mb
ram. there is also a process owned by squid starting at 377mb ram and
growing to 723mb ram and beyond.

i have a 3GB swap file that. Of which 508MB is in use.

Here is the info from cachemgr.cgi:

Memory usage for squid via mallinfo():
        Total space in arena: 970740 KB
        Ordinary blocks: 969957 KB 24 blks
        Small blocks: 0 KB 0 blks
        Holding blocks: 0 KB 0 blks
        Free Small blocks: 0 KB
        Free Ordinary blocks: 782 KB
        Total in use: 969957 KB 100%
        Total free: 782 KB 0%
        Total size: 970740 KB
Memory accounted for:
        Total accounted: 7415 KB
        memPoolAlloc calls: 198887
        memPoolFree calls: 28658

What else can i do to tune Squid to behave properly?

Thanks!

Daniel H. Latshaw
Pitbull Solutions, LLC.